Nore, the sculptural landscape – and a Journal published

1610The Speed map of Sussex in 1610 has no deer park indicated at Slindon. Such parks declined in number from the 15th century onwards.

But it has a prominent hill. It might have been the site of the House, but would that have been the most prominent landscape feature of the time?

Nore Hill is presently clothed with trees and the sculptural forms of the landscape slightly lost. If we look back through 150 years, the hill is brought to life through the bareness of the steep slopes contrasting with the extra tree height atop.

The eye-catcher visible from the nineteenth century onwards (left; see a good blog post here) meant that this became part of the wider historic designed landscape; attracting views from the house which were blocked when trees grew up through a general lessening of both traditional coppice management and the use of wood as the primary fuel source.

This is a post which didn’t go live through the period of the sculpture’s birth 2014-2016. As many have remarked, it is a pity (for what became partially a local history blog as much as a record of the sculpture) for it to remain in a medium that many do not access. A small number of physical copies of an edited text have been produced for posterity; the artist’s thoughts processes to accompany the physical stone.

You can pick one up at Slindon Forge, Arundel’s The Book Ferret and Petworth book shop, or view it in Arundel Library, Arundel Museum and Pulborough library collections.